Brewery Proposal: Understory Ales
Author: Jason Fuller
Date: January 25, 2018
Core Brand and Process
- Art Nouveau (with modern element) label artwork
- Heavy green glass ‘Method’ bottles, 29mm capped
- Highly attenuative house saison strain(s) for primary fermentation
- Primary fermentation in open tanks
- Conditioning in oak foudres or barrels
- Bottle conditioned with brettanomyces
Beer Style Overview
- Core lineup of farmhouse style ales fermented with sacc; brett added at bottling.
- Annual releases of barrel-aged, mixed culture beers.
- Located outside of town in a character building or farmhouse.
- 10 BBL brewhouse
- Open 10 BBL fermenter
- 3 x 7 BBL foudres for conditioning
- 7-BBL Brite tank for blending / packaging
- Barrel room with ~24 barrels
- Limited hours; ie Friday / Saturday 4 – 8pm, Sunday 1 – 5 pm
- Café look with traditional styling, such as rustic wooden chairs and tables, etc.
- Beers sold in half-pour (6 oz) or full-pour (12 oz) sizes in 16 oz tulip glass.
- Coffee and baked goods also served, as well as cheese and charcuterie.
- Vintage menu available upon request.
- Growler fills for draft-only beers, ie. Gramarye
- Sold at farmers’ markets
- Sold in tasting room
- Limited number of local private LRS for core beers
Twice Annual Releases
- Dorée, rustic golden saison – 5.5% ABV (bottle conditioned with brett) 750mL
- Lune, rustic amber saison – 6.5% ABV (bottle conditioned with brett) 750mL
- Aurea, rustic saison with honey – 8.0% ABV (bottle conditioned with brett) 375mL
- Somme, blended farmhouse ale – 6% ABV 375mL
- Old Lanes, bière de coupage – 5% ABV 750mL
- Dorée Reserve, golden saison aged in oak barrels- 5.5% ABV 750mL
- Lune Reserve, amber saison aged in oak barrels – 6.5% ABV 750mL
- Gramarye, rustic table beer brewed with rye – 3.6% ABV
- Saison Fumée, table saison with smoked malts – 4.0% ABV
- Table d’Or, dry hopped table saison – 4.5% ABV
Annual production: ~70 BBL per year, starting in October & ending in May. Blending occurs in Feb/March.
- Two 10 BBL batches of Dorée & Lune per year, open fermented in 10 BBL tank before filling 2 barrels and a 7-BBL foudre.
- Dorée Reserve and Lune Reserve blended from two or three selected barrels
annually; other barrels are kept for Somme & other blends.
- Annual 10 BBL brew of Old Lanes. A blend of fresh ale is blended with 1 & 2 year aged barrels to make the packaging blend, which is allowed to bulk condition in stainless for approx 4 weeks after blending.
- Aurea is blended from Dorée and Lune and allowed to condition with honey added in stainless for an additional 6 – 8 weeks.
- Gramarye is fermented in open tanks then allowed to condition in an oak foudre for 2-3 weeks before packaging in kegs. Brewed twice annually.
- Somme is blended annually from barrels of different vintages. Blend of Dorée, Lune, and Old Lanes. First release to occur once old enough barrels are available. 6 – 8 barrels are used for each bottling.
Malts: Pilsner & Vienna, wheat, white sugar.
Hops: Nelson, Motueka
Malts: Pilsner & Munich, wheat, amber candi sugar
Hops: Willamette, Tettnanger
Hops: Tettnanger, Saaz
Malts: Vienna, rye, wheat.
Hops: Willamette, Hallertau Blanc
Small Print on back of bottles:
Dorée: Our flagship golden ale, Doree is a bright, hop-forward saison style ale brewed with new-world hops and bottle conditioned with brettanomyces.
Lune: Our flagship amber ale, Lune is layered with biscuity malt and earthy hop character and bottle conditioned with brettanomyces.
Old Lanes: Old Lanes is brewed annually using a traditional grist, fresh and aged hops. Each bottling is a blend of young and aged beer, combined to achieve the desired balance of each component’s character.
Aurea: Blended from Dorée and Lune, 15 lbs per barrel of local wildflower honey is then added and allowed to ferment to dryness to create Aurea.
Somme: Our most special blended ale, Somme is created annually from barrels of each of our beers spanning several different vintages. Each vintage of Somme is wholly unique as we follow inspiration from the barrels we have on hand.